Motorcycle Ride

This picture was taken a few years ago, but it shows our black Honda Goldwing and shows us in our leathers. It also reminds me of how fun it is to ride behind my "handsome feller" and go cross country on our bike. We've been to Colorado and South Dakota on trips where all we took was what we could get in and on our bike.
Monday, Paul and Freddie, my brother, are taking off on their annual summer bike ride. This year they are going to go to the East Coast and ride the Blueridge Parkway. They're going to be gone about ten days. We thought about my going with them, but I decided I couldn't be away from my job that long at this time. So I'm not going. I'll just have to enjoy this trip vicariously.
A couple of thoughts: Paul's and Fred's safety is always uppermmost in my mind while they're gone. AND, when I don't go, something major always happens around here.
The safety thing: We had a bad motorcycle wreck a few years ago, so I know this can happen. And in our travels we've come across some bad motorcycle wrecks. When I went to motorcycle school and got my motorcycle license, I learned that motorists in cars don't seem to see motorcycles on the road, so there are several precautions to take as you are driving; it's totally defensive driving. My point: it's the other guy who's almost always at fault in motorcycle/car accidents. Thus, my concern. But these two guys have become good, rather excellent, defensive drivers.
The catastrophic happenings: Last year when they took off, our house flooded on the very day they took off. I had to call Paul back before he really even got started. The year before nothing happened at home, but Paul had a stroke the second day out. I took off work and drove to TN to cart him home. The year before that, the air conditioning went out the day he left. See what I mean? Wonder what it will be this year?
But, I believe that's called "worrying."
"Don't worry; be happy!" That's my theme for these next few days. I'm looking forward to Paul's having a great time and hope to enjoy his trip through his phone calls and maybe his digital pictures.
Bottomline: In a way, all of life is a risk. To enjoy or to worry is a choice. I have chosen to enjoy and plan to do so. Happy Travels to Paul and Fred. May they have the best trip they've ever had! Fun, fun. I'll miss being with them.
MB
1 comment:
Be safe and have fun! You two sure enjoy life. I look forward to living my life the way you do...to the fullest and never, ever stop doing the things you love.
We'll keep you in our prayers. And Mary, don't hesitate to call if anything goes wrong while he is gone. We can always call someone to come fix it :):):)
KB
Post a Comment