Remember the Chair

Today is Paul's 68th birthday.
H-A-P-P-Y B-I-R-T-H-D-A-Y!
The title of this post is for Paul. I bought his birthday gift a couple of weeks ago when we were at Sam's buying groceries, and we saw this OU chair. They had just arrived the night before. Paul's the ultimate OU fan and has his home office decorated elaborately with OU paraphernalia, on the walls and all around.
I'm the world's worst gift-buyer and gift-giver, so when I saw the leather OU chair, I thought my birthday-gift-for-Paul dilemma was solved. I asked him if he would like to have that chair. His eyes lit up, and he said, "Really?"
Then we read on the large box that you have to put it together. His lit-up eyes went dull, and he said, "Naw, that's okay. I don't want to put it together."
My proposal: "If you would like to have this chair, I'll buy it for you for your birthday. And, as part of the gift, I will put it together by myself."
Again, Paul said, "Really?" And we both laughed.
And that's what happened! We got the large box home, and we agreed Paul would leave and run the rest of the errands, and when he came home, his chair, aka his birthday gift, would be set up and waiting. And it was!
So, today I need to say to him, "Remember the chair! That's your birthday gift even though you've already been enjoying it for a couple of weeks!"
On a more serious note, we are doubly celebrating Paul's 68 years. His Dad and uncles all died in their fifties from heart disease, and when Paul had his first heart attack at age 46, we thought he would too.
But today he's in very good health and just this week in Austin on Wednesday, he played four games of racquetball and said he felt good and strong. Yeah! And he won all but one of the games, which was a three-way cutthroat game with an extremely skilled stranger at the health club.
Hey, Handsome, happy 68th birthday!
Hope today is your best ever, and remember the chair!
Love you much,
MB
1 comment:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PAUL!!!! Hope you had a great day. We enjoyed seeing you both on Saturday.
I laugh every time I read your blog because it reminds me SO much of us. That's what I love about Brett, but at the same time, I struggle with it because I am so independent and think anything can be done. Brett is very capable, just would rather spend his time doing other things. Which isn't a bad thing. I usually find "many" things "like putting a chair together" that he can do. He usually rolls his eyes and says - SERIOUSLY? Which I know is the international sign for...NOT TODAY!
That's why we love them!
Post a Comment