Thursday, August 21, 2008

Swimming Pools and Rain


No pictures today.

We will always remember the month we put our pool in.

Facts:
• We started filling our pool with water on 8/8/08 (which happens to also be Brett's 37th birthday).
• The month of August 2008 set a record for rainfall in OK City. We've not had to add water; we've had to drain water!
• We have already used our pool heater a lot. Yesterday the pool temperature was 73 degrees. I'm comfortable with the water temperature at 85 degrees.
• The electrical line had to be moved, and the company couldn't find the line. It was buried twice as deep as normal.
• So much rain has hindered much of the work getting done on schedule.
• August is usually one of the two hottest months of the year. Not this year. Very, very cool.

Those are some of the things we will remember.

What we're finding out:
• Exercising in the pool is fabulous!
• We need many bathing suits–three a day minimum. (Can't stand to put on a wet bathing suit.)
• Paul is addicted! (He said that yesterday. He absolutely loves it.)
• We're so pleased with the crews who've worked on our pool. Yesterday we had the drains replaced, and we wondered how they would do that in a full pool. One of the two young men who came to do it ran and cannonballed into the pool. I wasn't here, but Paul said it was so much fun and they laughed and laughed at how much fun it was. (Truth be known, Paul and I haven't done the cannonball entry yet, I rather walk slowly in gasping at the change in temp. Maybe one day . . .)
• I work in an office five minutes away. I can get home, eat lunch, and enjoy a fun time in the pool during the lunch hour.
• The most amazing thing: Paul is loving puttering outdoors. That's a major switch for this speaking, traveling man. He can't do enough outside and has found many new interests. It's fun to watch.

Overall, I guess you can tell, we are so excited about having a pool. I told someone the other day, it almost makes me feel rich. I know that's goofy because our pool is really quite small, but it's perfect for us. It's just one of those things the two of us have always wished for and never thought we would have.

Labor Day all four kids and mates and kids are coming for food and fun, almost all with a few exceptions. We'll have about two dozen here. We're going to tell them all that it's only on if the weather is fair. We're fair-weather hosts!

We're still not through with the construction. The waterfall into the pool hasn't been constructed yet. Guess why. Too much rain.

(I'm not griping; I just find it humorous that our area was behind in rainfall, but we put in a pool and now it won't stop raining. Fun things we'll never forget.) ;-)
MB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who would ever guess we would have this much rain in August - great for the yard, but does cause a little problem with swimming pools - such a problem to have, huh> :)
We went to Portland last week and the night before we left, we had so much rain that we had to drain our pool - well, we left our pump on too long and had to run the hoses to the pool the next morning to ADD water - we are learning, too!!
It is a fun thing to have and love when the kids come to swim. Hope you have a good Labor Day and can't wait to see some pics of people "in" the pool! Rachel