My 50-Year High School Reunion
This weekend our 1959 class is gathering at a country club Friday night and at a park for a picnic on Saturday to celebrate our fifty year reunion.
In years past I was always a little nervous and anxious when I attended a reunion. I was worried that I wouldn't know anyone and what's worse, no one would know me. And then what do you talk about after the usual questions?
I also wanted to look my very best. I remember at my 40-year reunion, I lost weight, got a tan, and made sure my hair looked the best I could make it. How shallow is all of that? I know, I know.
This year it's been different. I volunteered, or was I drafted, to help with the planning. I've attended four planning meetings, had a barrel of fun, even garnered a nickname (I'm not tellin'). I was elected the record keeper, which is really my thing. I've made lists and kept updating them almost daily. I even created a blog for us to keep up with each other. If you would like to take a look: http://web.me.com/mfburleson/iWeb/EHS1959
I think I've learned a life principle here. This year I'm looking forward to attending this reunion. I think I've actually shifted to the other side. Instead of being a fearful, anxious, self-absorbed guest, I've become an eager, welcoming hostess. The difference? I think it's because I've gotten involved, I've put some effort and time into the event. Hmmm... Hopefully I'll remember this in other areas of my life.
For fun: In my senior year at Edmond High School I was elected Miss EHS. Jerry was elected Mister EHS. Last year at our 49th reunion, Jerry and I had our picture made together. My, my fifty years "do make a difference" don't they? Yikes! I plan to take my camera and get lots of pictures this weekend. I'll share later. MB
Then and Now––Can you guess which is which? Joke!


No comments:
Post a Comment