Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Remembering



Virginia Pearl Salyer Cherry

This is a picture of my Mom around the time of her marriage to my Dad. Today is the day, seventy-three years ago, that they married in TX. One of the gifts I have received over the years from my Mom is a book entitled Grandmother Remembers. She actually completed one of these books for each of her children so they could share with their children, her grandchildren. In this book is a page where she answers questions about her wedding. I scanned it and am posting it here. Hope you can read it. If you can't and want to, perhaps you can click on the image and it enlarges on your screen. Pretty interesting, I think.



I sent Mom a card celebrating today and she called and said she had actually forgotten that Jan 27 is the day she got married.

I think it's good to remember, and since I'm remembering, I thought I would share.
MB

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Mary, How wonderful that your Mom did that for you and your grands! A memory, a moment in time, to share down through the years. A precious gift to you and yours. Something that is becoming more important to me the older I get! I must look into something like this for our children. I know you are happy to have it.

Paul/Mary Burleson said...

Hi, Yvonne, Thanks for commenting.
The book Mother bought for each of her eleven children and filled in for their kids is entitled, "Grandmother Remembers: A Written Heirloom for My Grandchild" by Judith Levy. I Googled it and it's still available from several sources at a reasonable price. (And no, I don't get a percentage for recommending.)
I really like my book and looking at the pictures of parents, grandparents, and of me as a baby and child. I think it was good therapy for Mother also. She loves writing, majored in English in college.
Again, thanks for commenting.
MB