2partners
Waxing Philosophical
This is a personal/public word to all you kids and your spouses and children, my grandchildren.
"Thank You" for the wonderful birthday celebrations. [There were more than one.] The cards, gifts, kind words, and every hug were all appreciated more than I can express. But I want to "thank you" for something else too. That is your maturity.
I've thought a lot about maturity lately. I know it doesn't automatically come with old age, [maybe an appreciation for it does] and it isn't excluded because of young age. But I'm impressed with all of your maturity.
What is that anyway? I'm not sure but, from my perspective, it is at least these things.
Taking responsibility for where we are. I think this includes feelings, circumstances, and where we are as a person. In other words, it is not blaming someone else for any of those things. I am what I am by the Grace of God...and my choices.
Respecting other people where they are. It is, perhaps, an ability to recognize my differences and being OK with yours. I guess this is celebrating who we are and who the other person is without a need or desire to fix them.
It is, perhaps, living as a resource for others and their needs but never as the source of what they need, [Only God is that] or they the source for me. [He is.]
So maybe it is becoming interdependent rather than independent or dependent. This allows for relationships but never interference unless requested or the control of others.
If this is maturity...and I think it may be a part of it..."Thank You" is in order for your...maturity. I'm proud of you all.
Dad/Paul/Papaw/THE HUlK [I warned you...maybe too philosophical?]
Monday, July 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment