A Day to Remember
We probably all remember where we were five years ago today. The term, 9-11, has come to mean more than the emergency call-in number. I had a friend at Saxon who got caught in the air flying from CA to VA. They landed in Salt Lake City and it took her one week to work her way home via rental car, a friend driving her, and finally on the train. She was thinking all the way, and didn't stand around wondering what happened. She ran for the rental car agency as soon as she landed and was one of the few who got a car.
I'll think of her this evening as I fly to Austin. I may be wrong, but I'll bet there aren't many people flying today. I was in Austin last Wednesday through Friday and am going for my weekly Tuesday trip this evening.
Not much happening at our household other than being quite busy. We had our deck refinished again and had our patio paint touched up and then a glossy finish put on. Looks great, but that took two days of moving stuff, having someone at the house, and then moving it all back. Not our favorite way to spend time. Paul does all the work, so I'm speaking for him. I just come in from work and admire all that's been done.
We're slowly getting the third driveway and concrete slab prework done. Had to have our lot surveyed, and that's about all that's been done so far. Sometime this fall we'll have the concrete poured.
We enjoyed last Saturday out at the football stadium. We went quite early and enjoyed walking around and soaking in all the smells and sounds and sights. Such fun. We both love it. We walked around to the east side of the stadium and viewed Steve Owens statue in Heisman Park. Then went on around to the south side to the All-American Plaza and enjoyed seeing Fred T. Cherry's name three times in the early thirties' plaques, twice for OU football and once for track. (FTC is my Dad for anyone reading who doesn't know that.)
We had arranged to meet a pastor and his foster son for lunch, but before we met them, we couldn't resist splitting a JR's barbeque sandwich at about 10:30 a.m. Then at lunch we had to have one of the fabulous O-Club burgers, the ones with a hamburger patty AND a split frankfurter on it. Really, really good.
We checked out The Oklahoman for Kelly to see how the crew was doing without her. They did okay. We reported that back to Kelly. We ate with our friends under the big tent by the big screen. Since he was a pastor, he and Paul enjoyed talking about blogging and also exchanging funny stories. A woman had come up and sat down at our table to get out of the sun and to eat her lunch. She joined right in and as it turned out, Paul probably was at OBU with her. Too funny, and such a small world.
We also enjoyed watching the game. We left at half time and Paul headed to Houston. He preached both services yesterday in Angleton. He's driving back today and will get home in time to drive me to the airport.
Work is still quite fun and keeps me hopping. I now have nine women besides me in the office and one other working off-site. Managing is a full-time job, but I like it a lot. Our company is having a celebration later this month at a country club in Austin and our whole crew is flying down together for one day. They're all excited about doing this and getting to meet everyone they work with almost daily via fax, phone, and e-mail. Putting faces with names is always a fun and sometimes surprising experience.
Better sign off. Hope 9-11 is a good day for you. A time to remember, a time to reflect, and a time to report to you. LOL I've been married to an alliterator far too long.
MB
1 comment:
I love your posts! We're going to try and do a better job keeping our blog current.
Thanks for taking time to share with everyone.
Love you guys!
KB
Post a Comment