Sunday, November 12, 2006

Enjoying this Fabulous Fall


I just can't say enough about this weather and about the beauty of Oklahoma this fall. It's been just about perfect. Cool days and warm days alternating, sunny and cloudy days also taking turns, not too much wind, and a gradual moving into cooler temperatures.

I'm so glad our home roots are in OK and we get to live here. I used to love TX and never wanted to move back to OK; however, these days I get to visit TX once a week and it always feels really good to come back home to OK. (Think I'll apply for Tour Guide with the OK Tourist Bureau. I can sell OK to anyone. ;-)

We've been concerned these last couple of weeks for two of our own. Grandma West was seriously ill and in the hospital for more than a week. She's back in the nursing home now, but she's quite weak. They whisked her off to the hospital in the middle of the night because she was having a hard time breathing and they couldn't rouse her. When we saw her the next day, she was very weak and upset that she didn't get to bring any of her things with her. We gathered what she wanted and took them back to her. She was on the verge of pneumonia, but she's rallied and is doing better.

Dara has also had quite a week. Cherri has detailed it very well on their blog. (I was going to try to link it here, but I've not done that before so I'll learn another time. The link is on our blog links.) Dara went in the hospital last Saturday and had an eight and a half hour surgery on Monday. She was in ICU for a couple of days and is now recovering in her room on the fourth floor.

Dara's had lots of company and received flowers and gifts and you'd think she was princess of the floor. She's also had some tough times and she's been a real trooper, along with her wonderful parents, who have also had some very tough times and been real troopers. This has not been an easy or fun experience, but we all think it's going to be well worth everything they've gone through. Dara got to start on broth yesterday and will gradually get to eat solids, depending on how well she tolerates each stage.

If all goes well, she's looking at getting to go home sometime next week. She'll be home tutored and then hopefully get to go back to school in January. Her church youth group is planning to come up to the hospital this evening and Dara is eagerly looking forward to that.

Other things: We have our third driveway and new single gate with a double-wide gate. Paul had a sidewalk and steps put in for his office out back. Everything went very well and we have no graffito written on our concrete. (I looked up "graffitti" to see if I had spelled it right and I found it was "graffito"! Huh? 'Tis true.) We have some teenagers in our neighborhood and we held our breath until the concrete dried. All is well and smooth and unadorned, no graffito!

OU basketball has started and everyone is looking forward to seeing how the new coach does. Paul got to go to the first game Friday night. Of course, OU football is doing well, but alas coming to an end. Last night was perfect football weather. And a perfect game--OU won, of course.

One fun item: Our nephew, John McMonigle, Jenny and Tom's son, is going to be on Oprah this Wednesday, November 15. He's a real estate agent and has a $72 or $75 million dollar home listed on the market. Tune in.

Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Looks like everyone's on for Wednesday afternoon and evening for fun, games, and food. We're looking forward to it. Plan is to spend Wednesday at the retreat center, everyone who can and wants to, head for Harrah (the Cherry dinner) about 11 a.m. Thursday and then that will end our Thanksgiving time together. We'll close out at the retreat center that morning. Too many had to leave to go home on Thursday, so that looks like what we're planning. Sounds good to me, hope it does to you.

That's it! Have a good Sunday!
MB

No comments: