A Matriarch's Birthday
Today, November 30, 2006, is my mother's 89th birthday!
Born Virginia Pearl Salyer in November of 1917 to Pearl Wade Salyer and Sarah Elizabeth Chapman, who were married December 9, 1916, in Anadarko, OK. Mom was named Virginia for the state in which her mother was born. Her middle name was her father's name.
She had a younger sister, Laverne, and a younger brother, Basil. They moved to Texas where she spent her teenage years. She attended Kilgore Junior College and is listed on that college's first honor roll and was a Phi Beta Kappa. She played basketball in high school and was captain of her team and had the lead in the senior play. She liked school and had fun. Her goal was to attend Baylor University and teach high school English.
Her plans changed when she met Fred Cherry, a young petroleum engineer. They became engaged on Thanksgiving Day in 1936 and were married after Wednesday night prayer meeting on January 27, 1937.
Just a few months after their wedding, Virginia's younger brother Basil, eleven years old, was killed in the New London School explosion. Recently I found the Web site which has a lot of information and recollections about this explosion in East Texas. I told Mother she should write her memories. She did and gave the pages to me and I sent it in.
This morning, Mother's 89th birthday, I received word that they had posted her entry.
Mother and Dad had twelve children; I'm the third. Their last child, a girl, was stillborn. Fred died in 1970 at the age of 58.
Mother lives in the home where she raised eleven children. She still drives, enjoys a weekly art class, attends Faith Bible church, and socializes with the Single Sisters.
Just wanted to say Happy Birthday to a wonderful Mom, and I hope she has many more.
MB
3 comments:
What a great post! I'm actually sitting here at the house looking at a picture of the Red Barn that she painted. We have it in our study. Thank you for sharing this information. She reminds me a lot of my grandmother - who just turned 89 in October. She still drives everywhere and refers to her friends as "little old ladies" haha Funny, she doesn't see herself that way.
KB
Hi Mary B
Tell your mom Happy Birthday from Estela and me. Very interesting story. I've never heard about that event. The internet is a great memorial to all those who suffered such tragedy. Thanks for sharing.
Chuck
Mary,
This was very interesting to read and eventhough I am reading this after the birthday date, please tell her Happy Birthday from me.
We lived in Overton when I was I know 4-5yrs. old and then we moved to West Texas. We were members of FBC there and I still have memories that far back! I am going to call my Mom and see if she recalls any of this. They didnt live there at the time, but maybe the news reached Mt. Vernon which isnt that far either.
We are making the best of the ice and snow! Love you guys,
Stephanie
Post a Comment