Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Daylight Savings Time and Other Changes


This Sunday we "spring forward" one hour and go on DST. Losing that hour is quite a change. My metabolism has difficulty adjusting although the "fall back" to regular time in the fall is more difficult.

However my physical body adjusts, I also do some adjusting with every season change; for that matter, I have to do some adjusting to every change that occurs.

Some changes that are difficult, I adjust to but don't fully realize how I've adjusted. The last few years have had some traumatic changes for me.

The job I loved was taken away because the company was bought and the great facility we had was sold. I stayed on with the new company and had a huge learning curve and became an office manager, a properties facility overseer, an HR person, etc., etc. Actually I loved it, but I never go into change confidently and excitedly, but I do love to learn. All the changes have been good and I'm in my third year with the new company.

However that new company was just merged with another branch of the big company, and the two people who hired me and who have been phenomenal supports are no longer with this company. Change, change, change!!

And in the last five years we've had some major changes within our immediate family. Some changes were very hard for me and I didn't perform well with some of the principals, my dear loved ones. However, they have forgiven me and we've moved on to re-establish and re-connect.

And in the last six months I started having a few little health problems, like a fractured hip with unknown cause. Whoa! This is not in my plans for my healthy senior years. What I'm seeing in hindsight is that I've let my physical health go and have pretty much eaten my way through all the comfort foods and slowly but surely gained weight and gotten out of shape. Terrible way to handle change and deal with stress. But that was my choice and the consequences began to show.

So, time to take stock and to do some reworking. Here's the plan: Get this physical body back in shape, and quit taking out my emotional stress and distress on my body and get back in shape.

BUT! This is so blankety-blank HARD!! But success is around the corner!

My goals:

Get back down to my best weight, which is a few pounds below what the insurance charts say I should weigh. I wanted to do it healthily, so I've set a goal of losing two pounds a week. I weigh every Saturday morning and write down my weight. So far, it's working and I've reached each weekly goal. But this is not an easy thing to do. Question: Why is it so dang hard to take off one pound and so cotton-pickin' easy to put on two? I'm six weeks into it and have about six weeks to go. I'm committed!!

Get that injured hip back to being a healthy joint. I've started clogging again and though it was painful at first, I can now do most of the steps. The skip, hop, and slide steps were the hardest. The first time I tried it I was scared I had reinjured that joint. But soreness left and it's much better. I'm also doing one mile on the treadmill every morning and two miles on the bike. That's a have-to every day. No days of rest on this one. I take the stairs always, and try to run up them instead of trudging up. ;-) At first I was a little breathless, but now I feel like a spring chicken! Well, almost --

Get a healthy look: I've started tanning. The last two years I didn't wear shorts because I was so whitey white. I'm becoming a golden tan, although a little wrinkled ;-) and that's after getting a little red. Yesterday at work some of the team said, "Are you tanning?" It's becoming obvious. Yeah. I don't recommend this to anyone because of the dangers. However, I'm choosing to do this and I like it. Someone asked me, "Why are you doing this?" My answer: "Just because I want to and I feel better when I have a little color." Actually, I don't owe anyone an explanation. Should I have said, "What's it to you?" Oops. One of my other goals is to try to be respectful and polite. JK

Well this post is a little bit of a confessional, isn't it? One of my other goals is to try and post midweek and weekend on this blog; i.e., twice a week. This morning I could think of absolutely nothing to write. The above is probably too personal to tell the world, but hey, what the heck.

A few years ago Paul and I did much the same thing as I'm doing now. We had a goal of his high school reunion. We wanted to look good. (Isn't that funny how that's true of a lot of people. No one wants to look their age at reunions and thinks everyone else looks so old. ;-) We did pretty well, in fact so well, one of our granddaughters said that she didn't like Grams and Papaw looking so good, almost like movie stars. She preferred them looking normal (like white and fat)? LOL Hey, I like the first part; as if we ever really did look like movie stars, but that's a worthy goal in itself, isn't it? Look like movie stars to your grandkids. JK again.

So if and when you see me again, you'll obviously know whether I achieved my goals. (Remember: looking like a movie star is not one of my stated goals. That's a serendipity and a one-time statement from a granddaughter who was recovering from an illness, maybe not in her right mind. LOL)

I may be successful, I may not. I think I'm learning that most of the fun in life is the journey to, not reaching the end. Is that a copout or a good philosophy? I'll bet you have your own opinion.

We'll see. Thanks for reading.
MB

P.S. For those who don't know, JK stands for Just Kidding in Web lingo (or so I'm told).

No comments: