Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Forever Stamp


Have you heard of the "forever stamp"?

Recently someone commented to me that postage had gone up. So yesterday when I needed to mail a letter, I "Googled" the cost of a postage stamp. It's still 39¢. That is, until May 14. Then it's going up to 41¢.

In this Web article I also read that when the postage goes up on May 14, you can also buy some "forever" stamps at 41¢ a stamp. That means you can use those stamps in the future no matter how high postage stamps go.

That caused me to ponder some. How will this work? Why are they doing this?

We have a great team in our office, so I posed that question to them. Here are some of their musings:

• How many of the "forever" stamps should we buy? I'll buy a whole lot and put them back and not use them until the postage goes over 41¢. (That's smart; wouldn't have thought of that.)

• Aha. I'll bet the post office is promoting this to get people to buy a whole lot of stamps instead of fewer stamps. (Think about that!) We've heard the post office is losing money because of people's using the Internet for e-mails and for paying bills. This, in a way, would promote people buying up for the future. Great promotional idea.

• Thinking about how this will work. We're guessing it will be a special printing with perhaps the word "forever" on it.

Isn't this the most interesting thing? You know, I thought "nothing is forever." I do believe in "eternal life" and living in heaven "forever" after death, but other than that, is anything forever? I guess now we can say we have "forever" stamps. I think that's funny, but interesting. Causes me to philosophize. LOL

Those are my thoughts for the day (not my "forever" thoughts ;-).
MB

No comments: