Dancing with the Stars
I've just started watching this TV show. I knew it existed, and I've glanced at it before, but this year I'm watching it, really watching it.
One of my younger brothers is a real fan, and he's the most unlikely "dance watcher," but this is one of his favorite shows. If he liked it that much, I had to see what it was.
And now I'm a fan.
Why do I like that show? I'm not sure.
Is it because I love to dance?
Maybe. I was raised in a religion that prohibited dancing, so I was taught that it was wrong. However, when raising teenagers, we had to rethink that teaching. I rethought it so much, I rejected it, and I started dancing. I clog, which is a solo sport. My "handsome fella" and I have taken dance lessons and we dabble in Friday night dancing. I LOVE IT! My favorites are the waltz and the two-step. "I could dance all night!" So perhaps I am participating vicariously when watching Dancing with the Stars.
Is it because I'm fascinated that someone (the stars) can learn to dance a difficult dance in a week?
Maybe. I think my experience clogging helps me know how hard it is to learn a new dance. For me I first have to mentally tackle the steps and memorize the sequence. That's difficult. Then I have to master the actual physical steps, and that takes practice, practice, practice. Next is putting the steps with the music and making them synchronize. Another practicing element. Finally, I have to know the dance well enough so that when I'm onstage, my stage fright doesn't hinder the performance. See all those steps? That's not easy. And the stars learn and do all of that in one week! Amazing!
Is it because I know that dancing is a partner skill?
Maybe. That is not easy for someone who wants to be independent and not follow. Believe me, I know. I was so bad about this that my "handsome fella" walked off the dance floor away from me one time when I got so bossy with what he was supposed to be doing that he just gave up in frustration. Yikes! There's a whole lot to learn about relational working together on the dance floor. I'm better, but I still want to boss. I can't even imagine how the "stars" do this because they're so used to being in charge. Having to become the follower and a learner has to be difficult for famous people. It is fascinating.
Is it because one of my favorite sayings is "dance like no one is watching"?
Maybe. That's my theme, but the "stars" know that millions of people are watching. How hard is that? Very, I'm guessing.
Can you tell I do like the show. It's just fun. It's suspenseful: who will lose out and be gone? Do I agree? This season I missed it the first time, but I was right on the second couple. I'm getting to be a pretty good reviewer. I can tell a misstep; I can tell who connects with the audience; I can tell which couples are good together. Too fun!
No, this is not an advertisement for the show. This is a post that is just fun ramblings from a wanna-be dancer.
Hope you have a "feel like dancing" day.
MB
No comments:
Post a Comment