Mother's Day 2008
My mother, Virgina Pearl Salyer Cherry, has been a mother for 71 years. She birthed twelve children, raised eleven to adulthood, and is mother to 10 living children, 41 grandchildren, 87 great-grandchildren, and 1 great-great grandchild. (These numbers are my quick post-it note addition figures. Accuracy in doubt, but close enough.)
Yesterday our gift to our mother was to go to her home and help with a little spring cleaning on the patio and porches. Four of us were able to come and three of our mates, so seven of us worked for a few hours sweeping and washing and cleaning and joking and reminiscing. Jenny and I used to hate our Saturday chores, one of which was sweeping the patio. Three areas, the patio and two porches, had things rearranged, removed, and cleaned. It took a lot more energy than it did many years ago.
While we were working, Mother enjoyed her morning coffee and watched us. I asked her if she was sweeping vicariously. She asked me what that meant. I shrugged and we laughed. I figured if she didn't know, it wasn't worth explaining.
After all the cleaning was done. Freddie built a fire in the converted well on the patio so we could have a weiner roast. Last Sunday when I visited Mom, she was lamenting that she would love to have everyone come out and have a weiner roast, but she just wasn't sure she was up to cleaning and preparing. Thus, the idea for her Mother's Day present.
We brought franks and buns, chili, onions, relish and mustard. We had to have potato salad, cantalope, baked beans, and chips. Then for dessert we had strawberry shortcake including ice cream. We all ate way too much and had great fun enjoying the beautiful weather, which was perfect for a picnic, and enjoying the scenery basking in our finished chores.
After we were all stuffed, we enjoyed sitting around and visiting. It was a great Mother's Day.
The workers: Freddie (pictured above with Mother), John and Karen Cherry, Jenny and Tom McMonigle, and (us) Paul and Mary Burleson
1 comment:
Wish we could have joined you!! The girls and I went and visited her later that afternoon and mom was thrilled with what you all had done for her!! Great pics and I've missed seeing you and Paul lately. - Rachel
Post a Comment