Thursday, April 24, 2008

Clogging


I love clogging!

When I started several years ago, I couldn't do it. My clogging partner is my younger brother, Fred. We reminisce often about how we were so frustrated and overwhelmed and thought we could never, ever do something like this.

We were radical in our practicing and were so excited when we did public performances. Over the years we've clogged several times in San Antonio on the river walk. We've also clogged at the OK State Fair, at Frontier City, and even a couple of times in Branson MO. Wow!

However, if you don't use it, you lose it. Ever heard that? I'm here to tell you it's very true for me and clogging.

About a year and a half ago while we were on vacation on a foliage tour in New England I was getting out of bed and thought I pulled a groin muscle. I developed a limp and couldn't get over the pain of any turning movement. Very painful. So, I did some Internet searching. I was convinced I had a hairline fracture in my right femur. Self-diagnosed. Several doctor visits later and wrong diagnoses, I'm more sure than ever that was my problem. I'm now okay and my joint and bones have healed.

During this time I had to stop clogging. I just couldn't do it, and I was afraid instead of a hairline fracture I might cause a break.

So, what happened to my ability to clog? Almost totally lost. Can you believe it?

I had to start up again at the beginner level. That has been very frustrating. And guess what? I don't practice. Result? I'm in the Intermediate class and look pretty good, but I just can't get back up to the Advanced class. Hmmm...

I've thought a lot about what is my problem. Why can't I get back into clogging like I used to? Maybe. . .
• I'm afraid of turning wrong and reinjuring my hip joint?
• I don't care enough to practice and do what it takes to learn the dances?
• Have my priorities changed?
• Has my energy level decreased?
• Am I too old?

I don't really know, but I keep dabbling in clogging. I travel a lot and miss too many practices, but I know if I really wanted to I could get back to the level of clogging I used to have.

If I figure it out, I'll let you know. If you have some ideas, let me know. This is not a life-changing dilemma, but it is something I think about and in the meantime I clog on the Intermediate level.

This whole situation is reminding me of a lot of other things in my life. Hmmmm...
MB

2 comments:

Brett and Kelly Burleson said...

It reminds me a lot of running. I used to LOVE to run. I woke up every morning and looked forward to lunch-time so I could put on my running clothes, go out in the heat, run 3-5 miles, and sweat! I loved it. I can't bring myself to run around the block now! I don't know what it is...and I keep telling myself if I'd get back into it, I'd have more energy and feel better. But again, it's going to take a U-Haul and a strong motivational speech to get my off my rump! I keep making excuses...when it warms up, when the wind dies down, when they finish all 300 houses in our neighborhood. Why? It's so hard to get in shape and so easy to get out of shape. Hmmm...now you've got me thinking again. I need to run. I know, let me know when you start back and I'll start running. haha

Paul/Mary Burleson said...

Kelly,
Hey, I'm letting you know. I clog occasionally–when I'm in town, when the class meets, and/or when I can. Sounds really committed, doesn't it? =)

So, you have to start at least walking or occasionally jogging around the block if you're going to stay up with me. JK

I'm a generation up on you, so take it from the voice of experience. It doesn't get easier, it just gets harder to be motivated. One good thing: it doesn't bother you near as much either as you get older that you're not in shape or not exercising. Guess it balances out. =)
MB