Sunday, June 11, 2006

It's a Small World



Yesterday afternoon was a fun time at Carl Ralph Bullard's retirement party at First Southern Baptist Church in Del City. The greeting time was from 1 to 2 p.m. and the program was from 2 to 4 p.m. All ten of the Bullard kids were there with their mates and with their kids. A total of 68 people were on stage when they asked the family to come up.

During the greeting time Sarah and I were sitting in the auditorium, and a couple came in whom I recognized as sitting two rows down from us at the OU football games. I introduced myself and we made the connection with CHA. He then said they were good friends of Phil and Rachel's and also their son played ball with Rye Cherry. He told us of a funny time when he saw John and Rachel together at the hospital and had a difficult time trying to figure out how they knew each other. It's a small world, and I often think of the six degrees of separation theory.

The retirement party was great. Junia and Basil spoke representing the kids. Starley spoke and told how Ralph made her laugh. She gave several really funny events and then thanked Ralph for what he meant to her. They had a couple of friends speak and a couple of business colleagues speak. The finale was they gave Ralph a brand new GMC truck. He had mentioned that was something he had never had but was going to buy when he retired. The whole theme was the legacy that Ralph was leaving at CHA. It was really, really good and fun to attend.

Before I headed home, I went to Edmond and got to see Skye and Denvre, Ruth's girls, perform with their dance troupe. Boy, are they good. Many of the dances they performed are ones they will be doing in competition in Las Vegas this summer. Leah and Dean's oldest, Bridgette, also performed, and Freddie and I got tickled watching her because she reminded us so much of Leah at that age. Very fun. Ruth's girls are unbelievably good (I know I'm repeating myself), but if you ever get a chance to see them, it's worth the effort.

To finish this post about it being a small world: Cherri and Mike were at a surprise birthday party for Mike's mom Saturday afternoon. Earlier, Mike had noticed on a blog forwarded to him by his Mom from his Aunt Nancy that Fred Cherry's name was in the list of people in the From section on the forward. Mike asked his Aunt Nancy what the connection was. It was clogging. Freddie and I have clogged with Nancy for years, and we met and knew her husband, Kenny, who got cancer and then died a couple of years ago. That same Kenny is Mike's mother's brother. Now, is this not a small world, or what? Nancy couldn't get over that Cherri was my daughter, that Kenny's and her nephew had married Mary's daughter. I couldn't wait to call Freddie this morning and tell him. He was as surprised as I was.

It's a small world! And each day brings new adventures. Life is good!
MB

2 comments:

Brett and Kelly Burleson said...

I just love keeping up with both of you and ALL the people you know through your blog. Brett told me the other day we have to slow down. That's not easy for me, so I guess I'll just have to keep up with this fast paced world through you. I'm sure this "rest" won't last long :)

Take care and have a great Sunday!

Love you,
KB

Anonymous said...

We didn't get to see you yesterday as we weren't able to stay for the "program" part of Ralph's retirement - we were there for 45 mintues or so visiting with them & others before it got started. You must have met Benjie & Marsha Weschler - they are friends of ours that we try to eat with every 4 to six weeks. They are really a neat couple. Marsha is one of the sweetest women I know!
We had several commitments yesterday & I was sure disappointed I didn't get to make the girls' dance recital - especially with it being in Edmond! They are GOOD, aren't they!!! I hope to see the video. They will have a blast in Vegas in July for eight days!
Too funny about Nancy being Mike's aunt & you and Fred clogging with her all of these years! It is, indeed, a small world!
And I agree, life is good & we are very blessed! Rachel